September 08, 2015
Writing 101 thinks I should write a list. I am in love with lists, but mine are usually to-do sorts of lists. Today I get to choose from ‘Things I Like’ ‘Things I’ve Learned’ or ‘Things I Wish’. Tough choices, but here goes… My list of (some of) the things I’ve learned from my favorite books, movie and songs.
- My favorite quote from Love Story is wrong. Love doesn’t mean never having to say your sorry. Whether you say it with words or with actions when you wrong someone you love you have to make it right.
- The answer to life, the universe and everything in it is 42. Ok, well maybe not really, but I think those answers really are simpler than we tend to make them. I’ve learned when I just let go a little the answers are right there (usually). Thank you Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- From the Princess Bride I know that true love is a miracle and nothing can stop it. Not R.O.U.S’s, not evil princes, dread pirates or shrieking eels. “Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.”
― William Goldman,
- We see what we want to see in each other and in the simplest terms. If we look a little deeper though we will see that we all have something important to give…”because each one of us is a brain…and an athlete…and a basket case…a princess…and a criminal.” – Breakfast Club
- The first time I remember hearing The Proclaimers singing I’m Gonna Be (500 miles) was while watching Benny and June. So much to learn from that movie! The song stuck with me and I believed (still do) that we should always go the distance for the ones we love the most. As a young girl I always that song was what it meant to be in love. I still believe that.
There’s my list in all its cheesiness and honest-ness. Now I wonder what books and movies or songs have stuck with you…what have you learnt from them?